Anticipation is high as the 2013 Nedbank Golf Challenge is about to kick- off in Sun City. On December 5th 30 players will grace the fairways of the Gary Player Country Club in hope of becoming the 2013 champion. This year, the format for the prolific tournament has seen the most changes since 1981. It enters and forms part of the European Tour’s international schedule which pulls its field from top finishers and world rankings tours. Growing from the initial five- man field to todays 30 players, the tournament will feature a total of $6.5 million in prize money ,while the first place cheque remains at $1.25 million and last place receives $100 000! The tournament will also feature Official Wold Ranking and Ryder Cup qualifying points.
- Ernie Els holds the record for the lowest four rounds in the history of the event. He has also appeared in the event 16 times; which is more than any other player.
- Eight playoffs have been recorded in the history of the Nedbank Challenge. The largest playoff took place in 2005 between Jim Furyk, Darren Clarke, Retief Goosen and Adam Scott.
- The course is situated in the stunning Sun City Resort and is considered to be one of the toughest in the world.
- The challenge takes place near the start of December each year after major world tournaments and tours have been completed for the year. This allows players to get to South Africa and Sun City for a final well- rewarded challenge as well as some relaxation at Sun City or Pilanesberg National Park.
- In the year 2000, the Nedbank Gold Challenge became the first Golf tournament to offer a cool US$2- million to the winner.
Set on the backdrop of the Pilanesberg National Park, the Gary Player Country Club designed by Gary player himself is amongst the best and in- fact, longest golf courses in the world. It is home to the Nedbank Golf Challenge.
If you are travelling up to watch the challenge, why not visit