Thutlwa Safari Lodge is a luxury, exclusive-use, self-catering, lodge situated in the heart of the Black Rhino Game Reserve within the Pilanesberg National Park. Strategically designed to accommodate a group of friends on a breakaway, or families – including those with young children – Thutlwa Safari Lodge affords its guests the opportunity to experience the magic of a South African safari – without a stiff itinerary or the restricting parameters one can expect from a publicly accessible lodge. If you’re looking to enjoy some downtime in the bush, with access to Big 5 game-viewing at your leisure and on your own time, the luxurious Thutlwa Safari Lodge is the perfect space that invites an exclusive escape.
With groups and families in mind, the lodge sleeps a maximum of 8 adults in 4 standalone luxury (80m2) thatched-chalets. Each unit boasts a beautiful en-suite bathroom that features a double shower, a stone bath and of course for the real nature-lovers, a private outdoor shower – enjoy the sights and sounds of the bush ‘on-tap’.
Enjoy your time in the reserve how-ever you choose! Daily game-drives can be tailored to meet the specific needs of your group, allowing you the flexibility to come and go as you see fit. The exclusivity of the lodge means anyone in your group can join-in on a drive; age-restrictions and time-limits do not apply. All game-drives are conducted in an open safari vehicle that is limited to 10 passengers.
Thutlwa Safari Lodge offers the following options-
- Self-catering exclusive use of the entire lodge
- 4 luxury thatched-chalets 80m2 each with king size beds
- Snooza’s (fold up mattresses) to accommodate children
- Camping cots, highchairs, baby monitors and infant cutlery will be provided on request
All thatched-chalets are equipped with:
- Air conditioning
- En-suite bathroom (bath and shower)
- Complimentary bathroom amenities
- Outdoor shower
- Linen (bath & swimming towels)
- Outside patio with seating facilities
- Bar fridge
- A tea/coffee station (complete with a Nespresso machine)
- Electronic safe
- Hair dryer
Your safari home-away-from-home, Thutlwa boasts all the creature comforts you’d expect from a luxurious bush destination.
The main entertainment area consists of a fully fitted kitchen with a fridge/freezer. There is also an automatic coffee machine, microwave and ice maker in the kitchen area.
An 8-seater dining room table is at the heart of the dining area while the casual lounge serves as the perfect place to catch the game or tune out to Teletubbies on a flat-screen TV. The formal lounge is the ideal spot for guests to read and relax, or they can head to the bar area for a few drinks. Wine and beverage fridges are available for guests to utilise on a self-stock basis. Make use of the board game library for some evening entertainment, whilst the children play with the toys available at the lodge.
The boma/braai area joins onto the large thatched outside lapa, that offers casual seating and a large dining -table for those evenings you want to dine alfresco. Take a refreshing dip in the plunge pool post game-drive or dip your feet in while watching the sunset over the surrounding bush.
The Lodge’s perimeter is secured by an electrified fence, keeping guests safe from the Big 5, but close enough to enjoy any passers-by spotted in the area.
Take a stroll to the thatched hide that’s in walking distance from the lodge and soak up the peace and quiet that comes hand-in-hand with observing the wonderful animals found in the reserve.
There is cell-phone coverage at the lodge, as well as complimentary WiFi.
Facilities at Thutlwa Safari lodge include:
The large kitchen area is fully serviced and equipped with-
- Cutlery, crockery and glassware
- Large fridge freezer
- 4 Plate electric stove & oven
- Ice making machine.
- Coffee machine
- 8-seater dining room table
- Causal lounge area
- Flat screen LCD TV
- DSTV (Full Bouquet)
- DVD Player
- Formal lounge area,
- Bar area
- Wine and beverage fridges
- Guest toilet
- WiFi hotspot
- Air conditioning
- Plunge pool
- Sun loungers
- Hot tub
- Seating around fire pit area
- Open fire braai
- Kettle Weber
- Thatched lapa with 10-seater dining room table & casual seating area
- Thatched hide at the perimeter fence
Thutlwa Safari Lodge is situated in the Black Rhino Game Reserve within the Pilanesberg National Park. This secluded north-western part of the park offers exclusive use to the lodges located within its parameters. Guests are immersed in beautiful surroundings made up of mostly sweet veld vegetation and a number of incredible Tamboti trees; a special space that often hides the endangered black rhino.
Head towards Sun City. Stay on the R556 and pass the entrance to Sun City on the right. Continue for 5.11 km to the STOP sign, turn right at the intersection (into the R565). Continue this road for approximately 27 km through a village until you see the Black Rhino Game Reserve entrance on the right. Sign in at the gate, normal sedan cars should be able to reach Thutlwa Safari Lodge without a problem.
Thutlwa Safari Lodge Rates
** Rates will change according to occupancy at the time of booking. Please contact us for a quote for your preferred travel dates.
** Book in advance to ensure best available rates.
|Rates 2021||Midweek (Sun – Thurs)||Weekend (Fri – Sat)|
|Rates for up to 8 Guests* (exclusive use)||R12 900 per night||R14 900 per night|
Rates are inclusive of:
Luxury exclusive use of a fully equipped self-catering safari lodge
Flexible morning and evening game drives with a qualified guide
Tea and coffee station in the thatched chalets
2 bags of firewood per day
Daily gate fees
Emergency medical evacuation
- The lodge is family- orientated
- Snooza’s (fold up mattresses) in the safari chalets are available for children sharing with adults
- 2 baby cots are available on request
- A maximum of 10 guests allowed on a game drive vehicle including children and babies
- Due to exclusive- use of the game drive vehicle, children of any age are permitted
- A guest is any person that is 10 years and older
- A maximum of 10 guests may stay at the lodge
- The lodge has 4 Safari Chalets, which can accommodate a maximum of 8 adults sharing
- Children are accommodated in cots or on Snoozas in the Chalets, on request – terms apply
- A minimum stay of 2 nights is required
- Maximum of 10 guests allowed on a game drive
- VAT incl.